UREC’s COVID-19 Health and Safety Plan
Modified Phase 2
LSU University Recreation is currently operating under Fall Hours and under “Modified Phase 2” per the Governor’s order beginning on November 25, 2020.
LSU UREC’s priority is to open facilities in a way that puts the health and safety of our staff and members front and center. UREC’s health and safety plan takes into account CDC guidelines and state and local government guidelines and recommendations. UREC is committed to providing quality and inclusive space and programs while minimizing the risk of exposure.
Members will notice adjustments to the facility including closed areas, occupancy levels, and shifts of programming space. There will be no guest passes available in the foreseeable future, and no new non-student memberships will be sold.
We encourage all members to review information on this page, and information on our COVID Reopening Communication Plan for more in-depth information.
|What is Open?||What is Closed?|
|UREC Main Facility||East Entrance|
|Climbing Area||Studio B|
|Adventure Center for Gear Rental||Cycle Studio|
|Outdoor and Indoor Pools||Basketball Courts for Pick-Up Games|
|West Courts||Challenge Course|
|Fitness Floor with 75% Occupancy|
|Individual Changing Rooms|
|Locker Rooms for Day Use Lockers|
|UREC at Nicholson|
|Indoor Volleyball on MAC Court 2|
|Indoor Basketball Shoot Around on ZWood Court & MAC 1|
|Studio A for GroupX|
Max Occupancy for Facility Areas
UREC staff will be monitoring the number of people in each area to follow state guidelines and to ensure the safety of everyone.
|Facility Area||Max Occupancy|
|First Floor Fitness||85 People|
|Second Floor Fitness||68 People|
|Third Floor Fitness||18 People|
|Turf Area||20 People|
|Powerlifting Area||12 people|
|Boxing Studio||10 people|
|Studio C||8 people|
|Racquetball and Squash Courts||1 person per court|
|Pool Lanes||2 people per lane|
|ESports Room||2 people in PC room and 4 people in console room|
|Climbing Area||12 people|
UREC is encouraging reservations for certain activities/spaces in the facility. See the list below for areas in which you can make a reservation. If you do not reserve space, you may use the space until the person with a reservation arrives.
|Area for Reservation||Means to Reserve||Watch How to Reserve|
|Outdoor and Indoor Lap Swimming||No Reservations Required|
|Climbing Area||IM Leagues||Learn How to Reserve Space|
|Esports Room||No Reservations Required|
|Gear Rental||Call 225-578-3431||N/A|
|GroupX||IM Leagues||Learn How to Reserve Space|
|Racquetball/Squash Court||Event Management (EMS)||Learn How to Reserve Space|
At this time, many UREC programs are going to be made unavailable, but UREC is offering opportunities that are deemed safe and limit physical distancing.
|GroupX||Limited Availability in Studio A, East Court 5, Mind/Body Studio|
|Intramural Sports||Limited sports and Esports|
|Adventure Education Trips||Not Available|
|Swim Lessons||Not Available|
|Sport Clubs||Varies on Sport|
- All staff are required to wear face masks during shift
- Cashless transactions will now be the only option to pay for equipment and services at UREC
- Equipment is limited and cleaned before and after use.
- Staff will be monitoring facility numbers at entrance, fitness area, and courts.
- Plexiglass barriers installed at operations desk
Physical Distancing Efforts
- Building capped at 50% occupancy
- Fitness Area will be capped at maximum capacity in each area
- GroupX class participants will be required to be 8 feet apart.
- Limited outdoor pool deck furniture.
- Distance marks will be set up in the Climbing Area to keep climbers at least 8 feet apart.
- Physical distancing floor graphic reminders throughout the facility.
- All visitors must wear a mask upon entry and exit of the facility per the Governor’s Executive Order
- Climbers must wear mask
- Electrostatic antimicrobial sprayers used nightly.
- UV wands used on all touch points throughout the day
- Additional hand sanitizer and gym wipe stations throughout the building
- Increased cleaning performed by custodial staff and student staff
- All members strongly encouraged to wipe down equipment before and after use