Get Involved with LSU Sport Clubs
What is a Sport Club?
A Sport Club is an organization that has been formed by individuals who are motivated by a common interest and desire to participate in a particular sporting activity. Sport Clubs are meant to be a learning experience for the members through their involvement in teamwork, fundraising, public relations, organization administration, budgeting, and scheduling, as well as through the development of skills in their particular sport. Sport Clubs are formed so the participants in each club can learn new skills, improve existing skills, engage in competition, and enjoy recreational and social fellowship.
Sport Club Inclusion Statement: No member shall be excluded for any reason, included but not limited to: race, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, citizenship, weight, disability, veteran status, or any other factors covered by law. Students may participate in the gender specific club that affirms their personal gender identity.
How do I join?
Each club has different procedures for becoming a member of the club. Some have tryouts, whereas others have open practices throughout the year. Therefore, the best way to get involved with the club(s) you are interested in is to contact the club officers to get more information on when their club practices and meets. All club contact information can be found in the Sport Club Directory.
What is the commitment?
Clubs practice between 2 and 5 days a week for up to 2 hours. The commitment level varies depending on the club and their level of competition. Many clubs compete on the state, regional and national level, while others rarely compete. For more information please contact the club officers. All club contact information can be found in the Sport Club Directory.
How do I create a Sport Club?
All Sport Clubs must be a registered Student Organization for a minimum of 1 year prior to being eligible to apply for Sport Club status.
To start a new student organization follow the following steps:
- Select an organization name
- No organization shall register a name identical to, or closely similar, to the name of a currently registered student organization nor can the Louisiana State University or LSU precede any organizational name
- Obtain 5 students that meet the officer requirements to serve as founding members
- Submit an Advisor Agreement to confirm an individual meting the University Advisor Requirements
- Draft a constitution (See a Sample Constitution in Tigerlink under Campus Links)
- Formally submit the organization application via Tigerlink by selecting the blue ‘register’ button on your organizations profile.
- Attend In-Person Training
- Select 1 of the 5 founding members to complete the required in-person officer training
- LSU Campus Life will contact the student that submitted the new student organization registration if any additional information is needed to complete the registration process through TigerLink. Please allow 10 to 15 business days for application reviews.
Upon completion of the first calendar year of being a registered Student Organization clubs are eligible to apply to be a Sport Club via Tigerlink. Applications open the first day of Spring Semester, Close April 1st and are announced in May. If you have any questions about the Student Organization or Sport Club application process please contact Delia Madrid-Nothdurft, email@example.com (Campus Life), or Ryan Reed, firstname.lastname@example.org (University Recreation).
For more information please contact Ryan Reed, Coordinator, Sports Clubs, email@example.com, 225-578-7029.