Intramural Frequently Asked Questions

Have a question about Intramural Sports at UREC? Check out the below to find your answer!


How can I participate in Intramural Sports if I do not have a team?

LSU UREC offers individuals a chance to register for all sports. Participants hoping to join a team are encouraged to sign up as a free agent through IMLeagues. After free agent lists have been formed, captains will be able to access your information if they are looking to pick up extra players. If enough free agents exist, a free agent team may be created.

How do I sign-up for Intramural Sports?

Team captains should sign their teams up on IMLeagues. After the captain has created the team, he/she can then invite players to join the roster. Players then go and add themselves to the roster to complete the team.

What Intramural Sports are offered for each semester?

Information on the sports offered during each semester can be found on the LSU UREC Intramural Sports webpage.

What do I need to participate in Intramural Sports?

All participants must present a valid LSU Tiger Card or LSU UREC membership card before each contest. The Tiger Card must remain on-site for the duration of the game. The Intramural staff reserves the right to perform random ID checks throughout the night.

Who is eligible to participate in Intramural Sports?

In the fall and spring semesters, the following individuals are eligible to participate in Intramural Sports:

  • Currently enrolled full-time, activity-fee paying students
  • Currently enrolled part-time students*
  • Spouses/partners of currently enrolled, activity-fee paying students*
  • Faculty and Staff and their spouses/partners*
  • University employees and their spouses/partners*
  • Employees of affiliated University employers*

*Must purchase a UREC membership to participate.

For the Intramural Sports occurring in the Summer semester, anyone eligible for a UREC membership may participate without paying membership fees. Summer Intramural Sports participants are not required to hold a current membership, but they must be eligible for a membership per one of UREC’s membership categories.

I tried created an IMLeagues account, but it says I'm ineligible. What should I do?

If you tried registering an account with IMLeagues but it states you’re ineligible, email your full name and 89# for assistance.



What are sportsmanship points? How are they related to Intramural Sports?

UREC expects all Intramural Sports participants to conduct themselves in a sportsmanlike manner. Sportsmanship points (0-4) are awarded to teams during each contest, based on how teams conduct themselves during their respective game or match. In the playoffs, winning teams receiving less than a 2.0 will be reviewed by the Sports Program Staff to determine if they advance.

What must my team do to be eligible for the playoffs?

To qualify, teams must have a 2.5 sportsmanship rating average and no more than 1 forfeit or default.


Game Site

Can I reserve a field or court for practice? What fields or courts are open?

There are no fields or courts designated for individuals to reserve for practice, however all facilities are available on a first come, first served basis when they are open.

How can I protest a game?

The team captain must make any protest involving rule interpretation to the Sport Supervisor at the time of which the incident in question occurs. Once a situation has passed, however, it is no longer subject to change or protest. For more information on protests, please review the Intramural Sports Participant Handbook.

I played for a team and now I would like to switch rosters. What should I do?

Players may not be dropped from any roster after they have participated in a game. Only people appearing on a roster, but never having played in a game, may switch rosters. Participating on multiple rosters will subject the second team to a forfeit for any contests in which the ineligible person played.

I was ejected from an Intramural Sports game. What should I do?

All ejected players must meet with the Sport Programs Staff  before he or she is permitted to participate in any UREC activity or facility. Ejected players are prohibited from participating in any LSU UREC activity until they have had their reinstatement meeting and (possibly) served a suspension. Suspensions to be served will not begin until AFTER the reinstatement meeting.

What is the difference between a default and a forfeit?

  • A default occurs when a team captain contacts the LSU UREC Leagues Office in advance (by 12:00 p.m. the day of the game) to inform them that their team will be unable to attend their contest . The game is recorded as a loss but no further action takes place.
  • A forfeit occurs when a team does not have the minimum number of players present and legally signed in at game time. In this case, the game is forfeited. The team receives a loss and a sportsmanship rating of 2.0, while a $20 forfeit charge is assessed to the team captain. The team is removed from the league after forfeiting a second time but is not charged a second time. Teams that do not respond to the staff after forfeiting may be subject to immediate removal from the league.

What is the maximum number of participants a team may have on their roster?

The size of team rosters are unlimited. Participants may participate on ONE Men’s/Women’s team and one CoRec team.

What kind of situations can I protest?

Only protests based on questions of player eligibility and rule interpretation (when misinterpretation affects the outcome of the game) will be accepted. Protests that challenge judgment calls made by the officials or League Supervisors will not be accepted.

When and where are Intramural Sports games played?

Intramural contests are typically held at the Student Recreation Center and the UREC Field Complex at River Rd. Some special events may take place off-campus and will require the participants to provide their own participation. Games typically take place 5:00  – 11:00 p.m. Sunday through Thursday, with one-day tournaments typically being held on the weekend. Campus transit can be contacted for shuttle service at 225.578.5555 between 5:30 p.m. and 3:00 a.m.



Can I participate in Intramural Sports and officiate during the same semester?

Yes. Many officials participate not only in the sports they officiate, but also in other Intramural Sports. However, we do ask that you set aside at least 9-12 hours a week to work for Intramural Sports.

Email Sport Programs at if you have any additional questions.