Policies & Guidelines
All UREC patrons are expected to be responsible, courteous, and safety conscious at all times. Disorderly conduct, abuse or misuse of the facility or its equipment, or disregard for policies will not be tolerated. Violators will be required to leave the facility and may be subject to disciplinary action. Violators of UREC policies may also be suspended from using the facilities. Members who are suspended will not have any portion of their fees refunded.
Access to facilities
- University Recreation reserves the right to refuse admittance.
- Entry to and exit from the facility must be through controlled access points only. Other exits should be used for emergencies only.
- Members do not need to swipe their card to enter facility, but they must present their LSU ID card or Tiger card upon entry.
- UREC offers ID forgiveness to those members who do not have a physical photo ID, but have their photo in Fusion (UREC’s membership management program). Approved form of identification is still required if Tiger card is not available. ID forgiveness will be limited to 3 times per semester.
- Rules for specific areas are posted on site. These rules may include more area specific rules that are not listed in the General Rules.
- No type of sport activities will be allowed in hallways of UREC.
- Loose Chalk is not permitted in any areas of UREC. Liquid chalk is permitted and is for sale at the main operations desk.
- Proper workout clothing and shoes are required in the Cardio and Fitness Areas at all times.
- Shirts and shoes must be worn in all areas.
- Shoes with a greater than one inch heel and/or lacking a heel strap are not permitted.
- Denim jeans are not permitted.
- Clothing with profanity or offensive language may not worn in University Recreation facilites or programs.
Lost and/or Stolen Items
- University Recreation is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Membership privileges may be revoked or suspended for policy violation at any time.
- A $15 replacement fee is assessed for lost membership cards.
Photography & Videography
- Photography is permitted in LSU UREC facilities for personal non-commercial and lawful use provided permission has been granted by the individual(s) being photographed.
- The taking, capturing or recording of any and all photography, audio, or video of any kind in the pool, men’s and women’s locker rooms, and restrooms is strictly prohibited.
- Those who seek to photograph, film, or interview individuals at LSU UREC facilities for commercial use, media use, or class projects, must receive prior written approval from University Recreation administration prior to accessing LSU UREC facilities. Head to our Information page to view the approval process.
- By entering a LSU UREC facility, members consent to being the subject of any photography, audio, or video recordings, which may take place while participating in programming and/or open recreation activities. Such photography and recordings may be used for LSU publications, webcasts, telecasts, advertising, and for any other additional promotional or marketing purpose as Louisiana State University may see fit. By entering a LSU UREC facility, members hereby waive all rights or claims to any financial compensation or payment of royalties in connection with any publications, webcasts, broadcasts, or exhibition of these materials. When/if your likeness or image is used in a publication, there will be no identifying information provided. If members do not wish to be photographed, please kindly inform our photographer or videographer.
- Tobacco, alcoholic beverages, loose chalk, and pets are not allowed in UREC facilities.
- University Recreation may not be used for solicitation, private classes, personal training, or any other activity associated with personal gain.
Student Code of Conduct
- All policies outlined in the Student Code of Conduct will be enforced.
- Children 15 years and under are not permitted in the Cardio, Weight, and Fitness Areas.
- Appropriate athletic attire must be worn in the Cardio, Weight, and Fitness area at all times.
- Clothing with exposed rivets, buttons, zippers, or other metal parts is not permitted.
- Clothing with profanity or offensive language may not be worn during participation of programs or services offered by University Recreation.
Food & beverages
- Food, tobacco products, or open beverage containers are prohibited.
- Spill resistant and shatter proof water bottles are permitted.
- No bags are allowed in any Cardio/Weight Room areas.
- Patrons should utilize the day lockers located throughout UREC, the day lockers in the locker rooms, or purchase a locker.
- Only UREC Personal Trainers are allowed to train clients.
- Please re-rack weights in proper place when finished.
- Dropping or slamming weights is prohibited.
- Free weights, such as dumbbells and weight plates, must stay in the weight room at all times.
- Please wipe down equipment after use. Pre-moistened towels are provided.
- Use of a spotters are highly recommended and collars on bars are required.
- Please ask the weight room staff if you would like assistance on how to use a piece of equipment.
- Report any damaged equipment, accidents, or misconduct to the weight room staff.
- Shower before entering the pool.
- No swimming without a lifeguard on duty.
- Proper swimming attire required at all times.
- Return all equipment to original location.
- No running or horseplay on the pool deck
- No diving excepted in permitted deep end.
- No hanging on the lane ropes.
- No hyperventilation or breath holding.
- Only coastguard approved lifesaving devices are permitted for use in our facility. Not all flotation devices are considered “lifesaving devices” and we may ask that participants use a life vest that we will have available at all times free of charge.
- Outside rafts and toys are not permitted.
- No unauthorized photography or videos.
- Listen and follow UREC staff instructions.
Dependent and Height Policies
- Parents or guardians are responsible for their children at all times.
- Parent or guardian must remain in reaching distance of a minor if child is under 3 foot 6 inches tall or if child requires a personal flotation device.
- All participants requiring diapers are required to wear designated swim diapers with an elastic plastic lining. Assist young children in making frequent visits to the restroom.
- Any users that require a personal flotation device or are under 3.5’ (42”) tall will need to be directly supervised by a parent or guardian. This means that the parent/guardian will need to be in the same space with them and within reach. The user is not allowed in the water with indirect supervision from the deck space.
- If a child is under 42″ tall and a strong swimmer, ask a UREC Aquatic staff member about a swim test to be indirectly supervised.
- Indirect supervision is appropriate during aquatic programming, such as swim lessons or Tiger’s Den, where the participant is directly supervised by an instructor or councilor, but indirectly supervised by other program administrators or parents.
Food & beverages
- No food, alcohol or tobacco permitted on the pool deck.
- No glass drinking containers permitted. Drinking containers must be spill resistant and shatter proof to avoid broken glass in and around pool.
- Patrons should utilize the day lockers located throughout UREC, the day lockers in the locker rooms, or purchase a locker.
In all instances where inclement weather is present, we will accommodate all users by making indoor lap swimming available. If lightning detected by ThorGuard Lightning Monitoring Technology, we will immediately clear the pools and deck area and ask all users to take shelter in the locker rooms or individual changing rooms until ThorGuard signals the area is safe to re-enter.
- During cold months, outdoor swimming is available when the ambient outdoor air temperature is 55 degrees or warmer. When the ambient outdoor temperature is below 55 degrees, indoor lap swimming will be available. Please check facility hours for available times during winter months and holidays.
- Patrons must check in at climbing area desk before entering the climbing area.
- No loose chalk.
- Closed toed shoes required.
- Socks must be worn with rental shoes.
- Do not climb directly over other participants.
- Patrons may not move or create hand or foot holds.
- Only spill-resistant and shatter-proof drinking bottles are allowed in the climbing area.
- Personal belongings should be stored in a day-use locker.
- Patrons must pass the belay test before belaying other climbers.
- Only one climber per rope lane on the climbing tower.
- Spotting is encouraged for patrons bouldering. Down climbing is preferred!
- Only two active climbers per seven feet (width) in the bouldering zone.
- Patrons are not permitted to boulder above 12 feet, at hand height.
- Any accident / incident must be reported immediately to the nearest UREC staff.
- UREC staff hold the right to suspend climbing area privileges at any time.
Top Rope / Lead Area
- Patrons must use proper “climbing commands” before climbing.
- Patrons must perform a proper “toe-2-toe” check before climbing.
- Patrons must utilize the PBUS (Pull, Break, Under, Slide) method when belaying.
- Belay devices must be attached to the participant’s harness by means of a locking carabiner.
- Patrons are not permitted to climb above top rope anchors.
- Only the Figure-eight follow-through knot is to be used to tie-in climbers.
- All lead climbing patrons must perform and pass the lead climbing test and skills check with competency before lead climbing.
- Patrons will use a provided harness, or a harness that has been examined by the climbing area staff to determine its suitability. Personal gear must be either CE or UIAA certified.
- Patrons must belay with CE or UIAA certified belay devices. Figure 8 devices are not to be used in the climbing area.
- Patrons are not permitted to share rental gear.
- Inform UREC staff of any loose, broken, or missing holds immediately.
- Climbing lessons-in-progress have priority use of wall areas. Staff may ask patrons to move to another area at any time.
- Personal training of patrons, either individually or in a group, is only allowed under the supervision UREC climbing area staff.
- No topping out – climbing on top of the bouldering zone wall – in the bouldering zone.
- Seamless flooring is designed for “feet first” impact. Down climbing is always recommended.
- Participants are encouraged to always utilize a spotter when on the bouldering wall.
- Bouldering is not permitted in the top rope area.
- Personal belongings are not permitted on the bouldering area landing surface.
- Dependents are only allowed in activity areas if they are participating in that activity and as such, must have a valid UREC membership. All age restrictions will apply for use of an activity area.
- Dependents that are not participating in an activity must remain in the 1st floor lounge area and must be directly supervised (within reaching distance) by a parent or guardian at all times. As such, the dependent would not be required to hold a UREC membership or pay the guest fee.
- Only parents or legal guardians who are current members and are 18 years of age or older, may purchase a membership for their dependents.
- If currently enrolled in school, dependents up to the age of 24 are also eligible for membership.
- Members 17 years of age and under may not sponsor a guest.
- Children six years of age and older are not allowed in opposite sex locker rooms.
- 16 or older – May utilize the facility without a parent or guardian directly present. May access to all facility areas and programming.
- 6 to 15 – Not permitted on the Fitness floor or in Group X classes. Parent or guardian must be present and remain in the same activity area as minor at all times. If using the pool area the parent or guardian must remain in reaching distance of the minor if child is under 3 foot 6 inches tall or if child requires a personal flotation device.
- Under 6 – Not permitted on the Fitness floor, Group X class or Climbing Area. Must be within reaching distance of a parent or guardian at all times. If using the pool area the parent or guardian must remain within reaching distance of the minor if child is under 3 foot 6 inches tall or if child requires a personal flotation device. Children of different genders than parents or guardians should be changed in individual changing rooms instead of locker rooms. The parent or guardian must make every attempt to keep exposure of the child to a minimum.
- Without a valid UREC membership, any individual who wishes to utilize UREC facilities or programs must purchase a guest pass and be sponsored by a UREC member, regardless of age.
- Individuals must present a valid government-issued photo ID in order to purchase a guest pass.
- Anyone eligible for an UREC membership may purchase a guest pass with valid photo identification. Should Identification be falsified in any way, individuals can be banned from LSU UREC facilities and programs for life.
- Individuals staying at either the Lod Cook Hotel & Conference Center or Faculty Club are allowed entry with the purchase of the $10 guest pass by presenting a room key or room receipt.
- Each guest must present valid photo identification upon entry.
- Members are allowed up to three (3) guests per day at the rate of $10 per guest.
- Guest passes may be purchased with cash, TigerCash, or credit card.
- The sponsor may not leave LSU UREC facilities/property without his/her guest.
- Members are responsible for the conduct of their guest(s) and are sub ject to all rules and regulations affiliated with a guest pass, including membership termination should their guest’s conduct warrant.
- Under-age members (17 years of age and under) may not sponsor a guest.
- Guests pass holders may not check-out equipment, make court reservations, or participate in Intramural programs.
- Guest passes will not be sold within one hour of closing time.
- Guest passes are non-transferable and non-refundable.
- Spectators associated with facility rentals are only permitted in UREC for authorized and specials events as per the facility rental contract. Group rental participants/spectators must check in at the UREC Operations Desk to obtain the appropriate pass to enter the facility.
LSU Family Association
Members of the LSU Family Association receive two (2) free guest passes and are eligible to purchase a UREC membership at the affiliate rate. Those who visit campus less frequently and would like access to UREC facilities can purchase a guest pass for just $10 per person by showing their current Family Association membership card. The Family Association member must be present to be eligible for this offer and will be required to present a photo id (driver’s license, government-issued ID).
- It is highly recommended that all patrons and guests leave valuables, such as money, wallets, watches, jewelry, etc., in a day locker.
- Patrons should double check the lock to make sure it is locked when showering or leaving the facility.
- It is recommended for safety reasons that participants with health problems check with a physician before using the sauna.
- Always sit covered with a towel or wear clothing while in the sauna.
- When showering, do not leave any soap or shampoo in the shower area.
- Lost and found articles should be taken to a UREC Operations Desk.
- Do not leave any doors or entrances into the locker rooms propped open.
- All thefts, vandalism or unusual situations should be reported to a UREC Supervisor.
- Children over 6 years of age are not allowed into an opposite sex locker room.
- Children of different genders than parents or guardians should be changed in individual changing rooms instead of locker rooms. The parent or guardian must make every attempt to keep exposure of the child to a minimum.
- Clothes, equipment, and other miscellaneous items are stored in the Equipment Room. ID cards can be turned in at a UREC Operations Desk and will be secured by the Student Supervisor on duty.
Parents of current LSU UREC student members are eligible to purchase a guest pass ($10) to use UREC facilities and programs, but student sponsor must be present*.
- The student and parent must check in at the UREC Operations Desk to purchase guest pass.
- Student must be present to for parents to purchase the passes.
- All rules and guidelines associated with the LSU UREC guest pass policy are applicable.
* Program use excludes Intramural Sports participation.
By participating in or using any activities, programs, equipment or facilities available through LSU University Recreation participant/user hereby agrees to the following terms and conditions:
I understand and agree that there is a risk of serious injury to me while utilizing LSU UREC facilities, equipment, and programs and recognize every activity has a certain degree of risk, some more than others. By participating, I knowingly and voluntarily assume any and all risk of injuries, regardless of severity, which from time to time may occur as a result of my participation in athletic and other activities through LSU University Recreation.
I hereby certify I have adequate health insurance to cover any injury or damages that I may suffer while participating, or alternatively, agree to bear all costs associated with any such injury or damages myself.
I further certify that I am in good health and have no mental or physical condition or symptoms that could interfere with my safety or the safety of others while participating in any activity using any equipment or facilities of LSU University Recreation. I understand and agree that I alone am responsible to determine whether I am physically and mentally fit to participate, perform, or utilize the activities, programs, equipment or facilities available at Louisiana State University, and that I am not relying on any advice from LSU University Recreation in this regard. To the extent I have any questions or need any information about my physical or mental condition or limitations, I agree to seek professional advice from a qualified physician.
Further, I hereby RELEASE AND HOLD HARMLESS, the State of Louisiana, the Board of Supervisors of Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College, and its respective members, officers, employees, student workers, student interns, volunteers, agents, representatives, institutions, and/or departments from any and all liability, claims, damages, costs, expenses, personal injuries, illnesses, death or loss of personal property resulting, in whole or in part, from my participation in, or use of, any facility, equipment, and/or programs of Louisiana State University.
By entering a LSU UREC facility, I consent to being the subject of any photography, audio, or video recordings, which may take place while I am participating in programming and/or open recreation activities. Such photography and recordings may be used for LSU publications, webcasts, telecasts, advertising, and for any other additional promotional or marketing purpose as Louisiana State University may see fit. By entering a LSU UREC facility, I hereby waive all rights or claims I may have to any financial compensation or payment of royalties in connection with any publications, webcasts, broadcasts, or exhibition of these materials. When/if my likeness or image is used in a publication, there will be no identifying information provided. If you do not wish to be photographed, please kindly inform our photographer or videographer.
UREC membership and program registration are paid in full at the time of purchase. A refund for membership cancellation may be granted for the following circumstances:
- Injury/Illness with doctor’s note provided
- Departure from University employment
All refunds require the approval of the LSU University Recreation Associate Director of Business Administration. Refunds may take up to 10 business days to process.
Written notices of all requests for cancellation are required. Notice to request cancellation should be submitted via the Membership Cancellation Form.
A full refund will be granted for program cancellations due to insufficient enrollment and will not result in a $10 administrative charge.
Visitors are considered anyone coming to UREC to either meet with a UREC staff member or to serve as a spectator during a UREC programmed activity. Visitors must check-in at the Operations Desk and the applicable staff member will be contacted to escort visitors to the appropriate meeting or UREC programmed activity in the facility.
Guests are considered anyone coming to UREC sponsored by a UREC member and have paid the guest fee. Guests have access to the UREC facility and must follow all policies the members are expected to follow.