The UREC Commitment to Sustainability
LSU UREC is committed to making intentional choices that positively impact our ability to become more sustainable. We believe it is important to continually assess our social, environmental, and economic impacts to ensure that we are making informed decisions, which account for short and long term sustainability. This is not a means to an end; it is a viewpoint through which all decisions are based.
Here are just a few UREC current initiatives aimed at increasing our sustainability:
- Using only “green” cleaning solutions throughout facilities.
- Utilizing online registrations for GroupXclasses, Intramural Sports, and all student staff scheduling.
- Minimizing waste stream by recycling everything from computers to paper.
- Recycling food scraps to create food compost for garden.
- Promoting use of water bottle filling stations instead of bottled water through distribution of refillable water bottles as promotional items.
- Increasing participants’ environmental awareness through adventure-based trips.
- Providing free 2 hour bike rentals for our students to get to and from classes, or go exercise.
- Installing automated lights, faucets, and toilets in high use areas.
Tomatoes, peppers, and squash….learn more about UREC’s newly planted garden and how it utilizes sustainability efforts through composting of food scraps.